Monday, September 3, 2012

Sound Blog Post!


Outside my Apartment: I sat outside my apartment on my balcony during the middle of the day to listen. I was surprised how loud and numerous the nature sounds were verses the apartment building that I was right next to. I could also hear in front of me the sound of a machine running from the houses across the way. It was definitely not a lawn mower or leaf blower but it did sound like a device that would solely be used for outside gardening. The engine would rev up for a moment and then there would be a constant monotone of the machine. I did notice that the sound seemed to only stay in one spot. Still not sure what is was but it was by far the loudest sound I heard. To my left I could hear the Cicada’s buzzing and humming at various frequencies. They would buzz for a minute with a consistent tone and then soften a few minutes later. Right next to me on the porch I could hear the rustling of leaves as the wind hit them. In the background to the left I could hear the cars drive by on the main road. On the right side of me I did not hear that much noise since there are only apartments and forest in the background. The only sound I could account for was the noise of a car being locked from a remote. It was very quiet in the distance and could have been directly behind my building. I tried to listen for the sounds of people around the apartment but for the time I was outside, I could not hear any other neighbors-, which I found surprising.

Library: Listening to people in the library by the coffee shop was more difficult than I thought. It was hard to distinctly hear all the sounds around me individually. There was of course the sound of coffee being made to my right which blended with the voice of the employees calling out various names: Kate, Matt & Jordan. I could also hear the sound of pens on paper and typing on a computer to my left. Numerous conversations were going on in all directions. The loudest ones were the people immediately to my left. I heard them discussing how much they enjoy their professor for Biology class. When I listened for other conversations, I could hear orders being made at the counter, a short hello between friends and laughter between some girls. In the distance I could hear the iprint as papers printed. I also picked up on the rustling of papers and zipping of bags throughout the couple minutes I listened.

No comments:

Post a Comment