Sunday, September 30, 2012

Dirt Poor Film Festival


I attended the Dirt Poor Film Festival this past Wednesday. I really loved this event and plan on attending more in the future. It was wonderful to be surrounded by peers who enjoy film. I’m so happy that we are able to create a small community outside of school. I was so curious as to how they were going to show films in a bar but I do believe they did the best that they could. I liked how there were breaks after the film segments. I do feel that the sound quality is lost since it is a bar. I would have enjoyed having subtitles just so I could fully get a sense of the film I was watching. Some films were not necessary to have much audio because they were more visually appealing but still it would be nice- since it is a bar. One of the longer films was very interesting. I was pretty confused since I could not hear much of what was going on, but I do remember that is was clearly inspired by French Noir cinema. The film was in black and white and had a very distinct Breathless feel to it. No doubt that the strongest similarities were the jump cuts and constant smoking of cigarettes. Haha. It was really great to enjoy film with so many people in such a comforting place. Everyone was celebrating the films, not critiquing them-, which was beautiful to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment